Procope Restaurant in Paris
The Procope, the oldest restaurant in Paris and the first
café, opened in 1686. The owner was Francesco Procopio Dei
Coltelli. In 1689, the Comédie-Française moved to opposite
the Procope and, between shows, the café became THE café
for theatre-goers and actors. Voltaire, Rousseau and
Diderot were loyal regulars and the Encyclopaedia was born
under the crystal centre-lights of the Procope. During the
revolution, Danton, Marat could all be found here.
Benjamin Franklin even fine-tuned the American
constitution here. An institution in the heart of Paris in
the very famous disctrict of Saint Germain des Pres.